More great hints and tips Issue 2
More top tips from Smiles Magazine and Appledore Dental Clinic in Milton Keynes, including information about tooth brushing, sugary villains, children’s teeth
Here are some 5 super brushing tips for your mini superheroes
1) Create a teeth brushing calendar – this is a simple and fun way to encourage your child to brush their teeth regularly. Reward them by putting a sticker on a chart or a calendar and each time they do well and consider adding a bigger reward, like a new toy, if they successfully brush every day during the month.
2) Make brushing time party time – brush along to music! Add some fun to the brushing routine and before you know it there’s a party going on in your bathroom!
3) Let them do it on their own – we know that kids can be stubborn and, more times than not, they insist on doing things themselves. Although it may get a little messy, sometimes it’s best to let them watch you brush our teeth and then encourage them to copy you.
4) Get rid of the ‘yuck’ factor – if your child doesn’t like the strong taste of your toothpaste then try one of the toothpastes that are made especially for children. These can come in many different flavours and also kids pastes are often fluoride-free so it’s safe to swallow whilst they are learning the ropes.
5) Set a good example – your child wants to be like you (when they are young at least!) so let them watch you taking care of your teeth. Use exaggerated gestures so they get a clear idea of what you’re doing and then smile and show them the final results. Sounds simple but it works!